The Construction Leadership Council (CLC) has convened a Construction Industry Task Force to provide a focal point for co-ordinating the industry response to Covid19, and to facilitate communication between the industry and government.
Its objective is to sustain the industry through the current period when restrictions are in place, and to ensure that the industry is able to drive economic growth and prosperity in the UK once the virus has been beaten.
The members are comprised of trade associations representing both large and small firms in the construction sector, including contractors, specialist contractors, home builders, product manufacturers, merchants and associated professional services, as well as government departments and major clients of the industry.
The taskforce members are:
- Andy Mitchell, chief executive, Tideway, and chair of the CLC;
- Richard Beresford, chief executive, National Federation of Builders;
- Brian Berry, chief executive, Federation of Master Builders;
- Steve Bratt, chief executive, Electrical Contractors Association;
- Peter Caplehorn, chief executive, Construction Products Association
- Ian Fletcher, director of policy (real estate), British Property Federation;
- John Newcomb, chief executive, Builders Merchants Federation;
- Suzannah Nichol, chief executive, Build UK;
- Jim O’Sullivan, chief executive, Highways England and chair, i3P;
- Alasdair Reisner, chief executive, Civil Engineering Contractors Association;
- Mark Reynolds, chief executive, Mace, and CLC Skills Lead;
- John Slaughter, director of external affairs, Home Builders Federation;
- Hannah Vickers, chief executive, Association for Consultancy and Engineering;
- Graham Watts, chief executive, Construction Industry Council.
The Infrastructure and Projects Authority and Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy are also represented on the Task Force.
The Task Force is meeting on a daily basis to share market intelligence and provide updates on issues of concern to the construction sector, as well as information about the support that is available to firms in the industry.
This information is published on the website of the Construction Leadership Council and is available to all firms and individuals working in the construction industry.
To date, the Task Force has issued guidance to the industry on Site Operating Procedures consistent with the Public Health England Guidelines, the temporary suspension of work on construction sites and contractual matters arising out of Covid19, guidance on the Job Retention Scheme and the Self Employment Income Support Scheme, and launched an appeal for the construction sector to donate available Personal Protective Equipment to the NHS.