Dozens of companies and their supply chains have been announced as winners for six decommissioning framework contracts, worth up to £400m, at the Dounreay nuclear site in Scotland.
Dounreay Site Restoration Limited (DSRL), was the site of Britain's former centre of nuclear fast reactor research and development for 60 years and is set to be demolished and cleaned up.
Initially for up to four years with the possibility of extensions of up to an additional three years, winners will take work at the site, delivered on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA).
As one of the most complex nuclear site closure projects in Europe, it marks a major hazard reduction milestone for the NDA’s nationwide efforts to return its sites to public use.
The companies involved will range from small and medium sized enterprises (SMEs) within the local community to some of the industry’s largest players, and will now compete in ‘mini competitions’ for distinct packages of work that move the site towards its ultimate closure.
Construction of a size reduction facility, shaft and silo decommissioning and demolition of historic active laboratories are just some of the major projects expected to be delivered.
Joint venture Nuclear Decommissioning Ltd (NDL) has been appointed to one of the frameworks at the nuclear site near Thurso. The joint venture, includes professional services firm WYG plc, Shepley Engineers Ltd., REACT Engineering, and James Fisher Nuclear Ltd.
NDL spokesman, Paul Read, managing director of James Fisher Nuclear, said: “This marks a strategic commitment by NDL to the future of the Caithness and Sutherland area. We are very proud to have a strong track record of delivery in accelerated decommissioning within the NDA Estate and investing in local skills. The team at NDL is looking forward to exploring opportunities to bring our expertise to the Dounreay site.”
Andy Gillespie, NDL director and WYG group commercial director, added: “We’ve been working with our partners from NDL for many years and have successfully delivered decommissioning works at other nuclear sites in the UK including Sellafield. Together, as a group, we provide a depth of experience that will be invaluable at Dounreay.”
Full list of winners:
- AECOM E&C UK; MW Hargreaves; Kier Infrastructure and Overseas; Morson Projects; NIS; NSG Environmental; Squibb Group; Westinghouse Electrical Company UK
- Dounreay Decommissioning Framework (DDF) Alliance; Cavendish Nuclear; BAM Nuttall; KDC Contractors; JGC Engineering and Technical Services
- Dounreay Wood Alliance (DWA); Wood; Aquila Nuclear Engineering; GD Energy Services; Orano Projects
- Jacobs UK; Atkins
- Nuclear Decommissioning Ltd (NDL); James Fisher Nuclear; REACT Engineering; Shepley Engineers; WYG Engineering; JBV Demolition; RPS Consulting Services
- Nuvia; Graham Construction; Oxford Technologies; Thompson of Prudhoe