The Roads Sector Interest Group (SIG) exists to pre-empt and address the business issues affecting ACE members who work in the roads sector. It does this through a programme of meetings throughout the year, and through engagement with key stakeholders.
Objectives of the Roads SIG
- Lead ACE’s engagement with the Highways Agency
- Promote smart investment in the road network to stimulate economic growth
- Promote a sustainable approach to the development of the road network that effectively manages demand, mitigates environmental impacts and increases resilience
- Promote views on strategic road network planning in the UK
- Explore the link between traffic congestion and journey time reliability with the economy and the environment
- Promote views on the procurement of consultancy services in the roads sector
The Roads SIG is derived from the Highways panel, which existed in 1981. In its present form the group explores how industry can support roads sector clients in delivering high quality solutions that make the best use of investment. As part of this the group explore issues such as innovative design, reducing carbon emissions, clients demands and requirements, the use of sustainable practices, safety, controlled motorways, road pricing, promoting investment, investment models, toll pricing, health and safety practices and both UK and EU regulatory policies.